Many part-time workers were left behind by the economic recovery.
Nearly half of the 26.5 million Americans (46%) who work part-time are desperate to work full-time, according to a new report — "A Tale of Two Workforces: The Benefits and Burdens of Working Part Time" — by Rutgers University. The vast majority of the nation's 26 million part-time workers — from college students working in coffee shops between classes to freelance computer software designers working for multinationals — receive no benefits beyond their paychecks and almost one-third say their financial condition is flat out poor.
Nearly one-in-five American workers is employed in a part-time job, logging fewer than 35 hours a week. Some 20 million people, known as voluntary part-time workers, do so to supplement their income, pursue an education, or care for children, but another 6.5 million Americans, so-called involuntary part-time employees, want a full-time job but can't find one. The persistence of such large numbers of involuntary part-time workers is an indicator of underlying weaknesses in the U.S. labor market six years since the beginning of the economic recovery, the study found.
These part-time workers are also divided along ethnic lines. Voluntary part-time workers are disproportionately white, while involuntary part-time workers are disproportionately from a minority, especially Hispanic. Although white Americans make up around 63% of the general population, they comprise 72% of voluntary part-time workers, and just 54% of involuntary ones. Hispanics account for 23% of involuntary part-time workers, and African-Americans account for another 15%, for a total of 38%.....
This list is only for announcements, so you may not post. To contact the list manager, write to njfac [at] njfac.org
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "goodjobs" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.